Sunday, 4 October 2009

Commuting 'n' Crossin...

Thursday was perfect. Dragging my carcass out of my pit at 6.30 was hard work but the reward was worth it and I was buzzing for the rest of the day. I've built up P's Pink town bike into a singlespeed commuter. I also picked the hilliest (& therefore the quietest) route I could find and cracked on. For the first time in about 15 years a road climb struck fear into my heart - brilliant. I had to get off and run (pride meant i couldn't walk up) but the view at the top was perfect.

From cyclocross oct 2009


Tell me you're not impressed by that Pink-Zebra-Singlespeed-Panniered-Moustachhandelbarred-mudguarded-ringmybell-20kg beast... go on tell me!

This week was also the first sight and ride of the new cross bike - happy days.

From cyclocross oct 2009


First race was today and it was an odd experience. I had the diesel to stay with the front four but every acceleration was blowing me out of the water. I resigned myself to 50 min of wheel sucking and a 4th place finish. In the end I managed to squeeze a mini-sprint out of my non-existent turbo and stiggle 3rd place (kudos too course designer and race organiser Andy Baum for stepping up and winning his own race). The new bike was spot on, I only hung on by being smooth in the corners and making time up by not braking - the Cube stuck like glue and it's given me heaps of confidence for when it starts raining the the fun begins.

I paid a big price for the 3rd place though... £1.85 at the drive through McD's on the way there for the coffee that fueled me through the rough spots. I know, I know but desperate times...

Good to race with the club too. Nedly & Martin smashed it up and P and Chairman Chris gave vital support.

From cyclocross oct 2009


From cyclocross oct 2009

No comments: