Tuesday, 5 August 2008

It's been ages since...

I properly bonked. You don't have to look twice at these photos to see who's crusing to 2nd and who's fighting off the shadow of 4th...



It was the regional (Midlands) champs and the course was sweet, lots of singletrack of varying speeds and flatish... just right for P and me.

For the first time in ages we were off at different times so it was great to be able to watch/bottle P and a good opportunity to chill in the feed zone and meet new friends :)

The bonk crept up on the 3rd of 4 laps when I missed a bottle (which unfortunately was my fault) and, instead of stopping for it, I cracked on. Not very wise. Although I got a full bottle at the start of the 4th lap I was already starting to lose the plot a little and within the next 15 mins I started to see stars, get tunnel vision, hit everything on the trail and go much much slower.

It's a horrible feeling when you know you are getting caught, and there's nothing you can do... but in some ways it was quite cool, it's been so long since I've felt like that it took me back to some the my most memorable 'death-marches' when I'd run out of water and food. At least this time I wasn't lost!

It was a huge relief to be able to hang on for the 3rd step on the box. Fortunately I had time to have a nap beforehand, else I wouldn't have made it :)



This is a late-night insomnia-fuelled post. Current question... this or this as the goal to fire me up for the remainder of the summer? Your thoughts please...

No comments: